Friday 25 September 2009

Reported Speech




Tense in "Direct
speech"

Tense to use
in reported speech

SIMPLE
PRESENT

SIMPLE PAST

Cindy asked: "Do you like
watching TV?"

Giles said: "I don't mind
watching TV, but there are
things I like better


Cindy asked Giles if he liked
watching tV

Giles answered he didn't mind
watching TV, but there were
things he liked better.


PRESENT BE-ING

PAST BE-ING

Frank declared: " I am thinking
about moving"


Frank declared he was thinking
about moving


PAST BE-ING

PAST PERFECT BE-ING
He told them: "I
wasn't expecting
your visit"

He told them he hadn't been expecting
their visit


PRESENT PERFECT

PAST PERFECT
She said: " I have
just seen
an old friend of mine"

She said she had just seen
an old friend of hers.


PRESENT PERFECT BE-ING

PAST PERFECT BE-ING

He asked: "Paul, how long have
you been studying
English?"


He asked Paul how long he had been
studying
English


PAST PERFECT

PAST PERFECT
They said: "If we had
arrived
two minutes later, there would have been no
cake left"

They said that if they had arrived
two minutes later, there would have been no cake left.


PAST PERFECT BE-ING

PAST PERFECT BE-ING
He declared: " You had
been telling
me you wanted to see her"

He declared they had been telling
him they wanted to see her.


FUTURE (WILL)

CONDITIONAL (WOULD)
I asked: " Where will
you spend
your holiday ?"

I asked where they would spend their
holiday.


WILL + BE-ING

WOULD + BE-ING
Anna declared:" I will
be announcing
my engagement next month"

Anna declared she would be announcing
her engagement the following month


WOULD

WOULD
Tony said: "I would
like
something to eat. I wouldn't
mind
a drink either."

Tony said he would like
something to drink and wouldn't mind
a drink either.


Direct Speech
Reported Speech
today
that day
now
then
yesterday
the day before
… days ago
… days before
last week
the week before
next year
the following year
tomorrow
the next day / the following day
here
there
this
that
these
those



Mixed Exercise 1


Complete the sentences in reported speech. Note whether the sentence is a request, a statement or a question.


  1. He said, "I like this song."
    → He said

  2. "Where is your sister?" she asked me.
    → She asked me

  3. "I don't speak Italian," she said.
    → She said

  4. "Say hello to Jim," they said.
    → They asked me

  5. "The film began at seven o'clock," he said.
    → He said

  6. "Don't play on the grass, boys," she said.
    → She told the boys

  7. "Where have you spent your money?" she asked him.
    → She asked him

  8. "I never make mistakes," he said.
    → He said

  9. "Does she know Robert?" he wanted to know.
    → He wanted to know

  10. "Don't try this at home," the stuntman told the audience.
    → The stuntman advised the audience













Mixed Exercise 2


Complete the sentences in reported speech. Note whether the sentence is a request, a statement or a question and whether you have to change the tenses or not.


  1. "I was very tired," she said.
    → She said

  2. "Be careful, Ben," she said.
    → She told Ben

  3. "I will get myself a drink," she says.
    → She says

  4. "Why haven't you phoned me?" he asked me.
    → He wondered

  5. "I cannot drive them home," he said.
    → He said

  6. "Peter, do you prefer tea or coffee?" she says.
    → She asks Peter

  7. "Where did you spend your holidays last year?" she asked me.
    → She asked me

  8. He said, "Don't go too far."
    → He advised her

  9. "Have you been shopping?" he asked us.
    → He wanted to know

  10. "Don't make so much noise," he says.
    → He asks us











No comments:

Post a Comment